This letter comes a few weeks late. I've been holding off until my big girl had her 18 month wellness visit, and unfortunately it was rescheduled a few times as you will soon read....
Dearest Adalyn,
Crazy to think that 18 months ago you were brand new and now you are a crazy, wild, determined one and a half year old that will be turning into a fabulous big sister very shortly! I feel like the past three months, since my last letter when you were 15 months old, has brought many changes in your abilities, personality and favorites.
At your 18 month well visit you measured a long and lean 34.5 inches and 24 pounds 3 ounces (this is a 1 inch increase and more than 1 pound increase since your 15 month visit). The few weeks leading up to your 18 month birthday have been trying and tiring on both of us, that's for sure. In the matter of 5-6 weeks we battled your first molars cutting through, your very first ear infection, a few high temperatures, and a viral infection (hand-foot-mouth disease). You, my poor little girl, have not been able to catch a break in the health department the past two months.
Unfortunately, all of these health stumbles occurred subsequently with our weaning from nursing. Right around 17 months of age, we finished off our breastfeeding time together and immediately following that, it was one battle after another for you. I'm hoping we have a healthy streak now as you received a clean bill of health at your well visit earlier this week.
Stopping nursing was very sad and difficult for me to accept. I have to admit I cried and struggled over not letting you latch for that first week after we had stopped. When I first started nursing you my goal was to make it to a year, and we more than reached and exceeded that goal. Sad, still, as some of my favorite memories of our first year together were while nursing. The extra cuddle time, your sweet smiles while nursing and starring up at me, watching you drift soundly to slumber into a mama's milk induced sleep, and as you got older, the giggles and laughs while we nursed and played. I'm so glad I was able to give you the gift of being breastfed and doing my best to give you the healthiest start to life possible.
As far as your abilities, I don't think there is much you can't do, physically. You love to dance, both by yourself and while being held and twirled by mama. You love to play games like peek-a-boo and ring-a- round the rosie. You love playing with your toys, especially building towers or more so having other people build towers so you can knock them down. You love drawing and coloring, and we've even tried your hands at finger painting a few times. You love getting into everything you shouldn't have and know you aren't supposed to have. You know right from wrong, and are a sneaky little thing when you are getting into things you shouldn't be.
Your vocabulary is certainly coming along as you have well over 30 words and phrases that you can say and are often able to imitate many sounds and words that are said to you immediately. The problem lies in your consistency with using your vocabulary. You are an extremely stubbon little girl. Your Daddy and I will both take equal credit for that personality trait. You chose when and how often you want to speak and you refuse to use your words unless it's on your terms. If we try to encourage you to use your words when you aren't in the mood, tantrums often ensue.
Speaking of tantrums... wow, have you perfected that! We love you dearly, miss Addybear, but boy oh boy can you throw a fit! When you do, you are not easily consolable. Most of your mini meltdowns occur over not being given what you want, at the exact moment that you want it, or not wanting to be still in one spot for too long. You are impatient at times, and downright demanding at others. All of these personality traits, when harnessed in the correct manner, will likely lead to you being a very successful and driven young lady. We just need to figure out how to help you learn to use your personality to achieve good things. That's what we are here for little lady, to help you become the best big person you can be.
You aren't all tears and screams, though. Don't get me wrong... You are still one of the happiest kids I have ever encountered. You are full of smiles, squeals of delight, giggles, hugs, kisses and love. You are full of sweetness and flirting. You have become much more of a cuddler than you have been in the past. You love to brush your hair (or Mommy's hair, or Daddy's bald head) and play dress up. You love wearing Mommy's jewelry, Daddy's shoes and any hats, accessories or clothing you can find lying around.
Your eating habits have become much more toddler like as you are more picky than you had been in the past. You still eat a variety of foods, sometimes, and other times are extremely limited to the typical toddler fruit, chicken nuggets, pizza and macaroni and cheese. Some days you will devour your meals and other days pick at them without eating much at all.
As far as toys, your favorites are your Elmo doll (you fell even more in love with him after we went to see Sesame Street Live), Mommy's cellphone, balls, and as always, your books! You are becoming more interested in watching television and mostly love (again) Elmo, Super Why (you mostly just love the theme music and mimicking the dance moves the characters do) and Monkey See, Monkey Do (again you love the music and copying the dancing).
You continue to amaze me and make me feel like the luckiest mama in the world. We have so many fun things planned this spring before Baby Mason arrives. We're looking forward to spending as much time with you while "we" are still "three" and before we become "four". We know you will love being a big sister and I can't wait to watch you fall in love with your brother, to watch you become protective of him, to watch you teach him and mother him. Not only will you be an amazing individual you will be an amazing part of the relationship that you and him will undoubtedly share. Just picturing you holding him brings tears to my eyes.
You, my little "big" girl, are the center of my universe, the sparkle in my eye, the skip in my step. "I will like you for always, I will love you forever, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be..."
Always yours,
Mommy
Welcome to my blog!
Hello and thanks for stopping by! I'm a mama to my two sweet kiddos, Adalyn who is 2 and my new baby boy Mason. I started blogging after Adalyn was born as a way to write down memories for her to be able to look back at and ended up printing my first year's blog into a book so my babies have their childhood memories documented forever. By day, I'm a physical therapist. By night and weekend, I'm a loving wife to my husband Scott and a totally in love mama to my dear babies and the center of my world, Adalyn Rose and Mason Scott, along with our two furbabies. When I found out I was pregnant I knew I would "try" breastfeeding. Now that they are here, I'm a breastfeeding, babywearing, extended rearfacing, part-time co-sleeping, babyfood making, constantly researching mama. Some people call it crunchy... I call it living better for them... A little at a time! And this is our story...
No comments:
Post a Comment